May 17, 2016

RECIPE || SWISS MUESLI

I can't believe it's been just over a year since mitch and I returned from europe. we hope to someday make that an annual thing, but with his current med school schedule, it's tough to get away. while we were there, we fell in love with how the swiss ate: small portions, fresh from the source produce, simple food. seeing the way they eat was a little like finding out something we already knew--new and familiar all at the same time. 

I call this recipe swiss muesli, but I think that's just because I started eating muesli because of our breakfasts in switzerland, which for me always included muesli and yogurt. it's got all of my favorite components (when I don't burn the almonds). it's a little bit of sweet mixed with a little bit of smoky and a little bit of savory. lately, I've been eating this along with my greek yogurt for second breakfast. it's so crazy how much this baby can convince me to eat! so hungry. all the time.

SWISS MUESLI



ingredients

2 cups oats 
1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
1/3 cup raisins, chopped
1/3 dried apples, chopped
3/4 cup nuts of your choice, toasted (I used half hazelnuts, half almonds)
1 cup wheat or corn flakes



method

this recipe is pretty straight forward.
one :: chop dried fruit. crush wheat or corn flakes.

two :: toast nuts no more than a minute or two. burnt nuts smell the worst.

three :: combine in bowl and mix.

you can store this in an airtight container for about six months, which is a total guess. but I'm pretty sure the airtight tip would be important. and you can also interchange any of the dried fruit for your favorites. I just equal all of mine to a cup.


in baby news, she is doing just fine! she kicks whenever we ask her to just so we know she's okay and all she ever wants me to eat is summer fruit, which has led to many a watermelon bought and devoured in less than a day. thank goodness it's finally watermelon season. and I've officially started shopping for maternity clothes because none of my pre-maternity stuff has a hope of fitting anymore. where are your favorite places to buy maternity stuff that doesn't make you feel like you're enormous?

hope everyone has a happy tuesday!

love, arielle


1 comment: